Daily Archives: February 14, 2013
A list of questions has been sent to The Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade and answers will be published when a reply is received.
In relation to Ben Zygier – aka Ben Alon or Ben Allen (known in the media as Prisoner X) can DFAT please provide answers to the following questions? I am aware and respect there are some limitations relating to the privacy act and the need for intelligence agencies to maintain the confidentiality of some information. I would most appreciate if a question cannot be answered that the reason for it not being answered can be highlighted.
1. On what date was DFAT first made aware of the arrest and detention of Ben Zygier or an Australian known under any of the aliases known to be used or associated with Prisoner X.
2. When was the then Minister for Foreign Affairs notified of the imprisonment?
3. What efforts did DFAT undertake to contact or visit Mr Zygier, as is outlined under The Consular Services Charter?
4. As stated under the The Consular Services Charter was Mr Zygier given access to a list of local lawyers?
5. What undertakings did DFAT seek from the Israeli authorities as to the treatment and well-being of Mr Zygier?
6. When was DFAT notified of the death of Mr Zygier, has DFAT reviewed the circumstances of the death and if mistreatment was a potential cause of the death of an Australian?
7. Is DFAT aware of any other Australian agency contacting or visiting Mr Zygier while he was in Israeli detention?
I thank you for taking my question and await your reply,
Senior Advocate – Foreign Prisoner Support Service